Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Doobie Brothers - Eight Japanese Pressings Plus


THE DOOBIE BROTHERS - This one's the first Doobie's album, and while, as a whole, it doesn't stand up to what comes after, there are some flashes of brilliance here, such as "Nobody". This whole series (all are in mini-LP format, except TOULOUSE STREET and STAMPEDE) sound much better than the U.S. pressings. I'd be buying the SHM-CD versions right now, if I didn't already have these.



TOULOUSE STREET - Often called the "first true Doobie album", there's some excellent songs on this one, including "Listen To the Music", "Rockin' Down the Highway" and "Jesus Is Just Alright".



THE CAPTAIN AND ME - This album shows the Doobies truly coming into their own. Tracks such as "Long Train Runnin'", "China Grove", "Without You" and "South City Midnight Lady" stud this tour de force.



WHAT ONCE WERE VICES ARE NOW HABITS - This is still the only early Doobie album I listen to all the way through. "Black Water", "Eyes of Silver", "Road Angel", "Another Park, Another Sunday", and, well, just about every tune in here is worth the time.



STAMPEDE - A little lighter on the hits, and a little heavier on the contents. "I Cheat the Hangman" is not to be missed!



TAKIN' IT TO THE STREETS - While many consider the advent of Michael McDonald as a force in the Doobies to be a harbringer of their downfall, I always viewed this cross-pollination with Steely Dan-type music as a plus, at least until things got just too damned popish.



LIVIN' ON THE FAULT LINE - This one went even more into a Dan-ish vein, playing up jazz more than rock. Still great stuff, though.



ONE STEP CLOSER - Really, I always considered this album "One Step Too Far". Not my favorite.



MINUTE BY MINUTE - The last listenable Doobie Brothers album, I don't have this one in a Japanese pressing, so I've inserted the Audio Fidelity gold disc HDCD in its place. I really love "Steamer Lan Breakdown".

1 comment:

  1. Could you please reupload these albums?

    Please.

    Especially, the first 6 Doobie albums...

    I'm a big Doobie Brothers fan!!

    THANKS in advance!

    ReplyDelete